CAUSE THERE'S MORE TO DO THAN JUST MOVE IT MOVE IT.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Godiva

I just got back from my holiday a few days ago and as always I did some Duty Free shopping.
I don't know why but I go a bit crazy in duty free and shouldn't ever really be left there unsupervised.
I almost look like a child playing in a waterfall of goodies under a beaten down pinata.
Yes, the thought itself is a little scary.

But everytime I am at the airport I make sure I pick up a box of Godiva.
It's just something that must be done.

I have always loved the name Godiva. 
Godiva Godiva Godiva.
Ok, so I wouldn't name my daughter that but my love for the name made me look her up.


Lady Godiva was the wife of Leofric, who was an Earl.
She took pity on the people of Coventry who had to pay high taxes and appealed to her husband to reduce it and show some kindness to the people.
Leofric agreed on the condition that Godiva would ride through the town while naked on her horse.
Lady Godiva did so after procaliming that the whole town must be closed and that everyone must stay in their homes.
Only one man - Tom (of Peeping Tom fame) decided to have a little looksie and made a hole in his shutters and watched as Godiva passed by.

Everyone had a good day.
Godiva got to ride around the town naked.
Tom got to see Godiva naked.
and Leofric abolished the tax.

But somehow Tom went blind.
I'm not sure if that was a punishment for looking at a naked woman on a horse.
Or whether they made it up to scare other boys.

My research sort of ended there and I dove head first into a nice big box of chocolates.
Hope your day is just as sweet as mine.


Happy Easter!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...